Gantry is a powerful framework that RocketTheme uses as the basis for all of its Joomla and WordPress theme designs, and have made it available to users via the GPL license. You are free to use it in your theme development projects.
Gantry was born when the RocketTheme development team wanted to consolidate extensive set of custom Joomla and WordPress template functionality into a simple, easy to use framework. However, they wanted to ensure we didn’t lock ourselves into a rigid framework that would stifle the creativity and bleeding-edge design features that we had become known for. It had to be powerful enough to do everything our templates already handled, but allow us to easily extend and build-on these features with a minimum of effort and complexity.
We wanted to have a solid base we could build on top of when creating a new template or theme. Anything that was common to all templates was a prime candidate to be put in the core of Gantry, and anything specific to the template design itself should be part of the template itself. Traditionally the Joomla and WordPress layout options are limited, but Gantry was built to provide a new layer on top of this traditional module configuration to give an unprecedented level of control and flexibility.
1. Responsive grid system
2. Joomla 1.5 and 2.5 support
3. 65 base module positions
4. 38 possible layout combinations for mainbody and sidebars
5. Stunning new administrator interface
6. XML driven with overrides for unprecedented levels of customization
7. Powerful built-in fields
8. Per menu-item level control over any configuration parameter
9. Preset any combination of configuration parameters, and save custom presets
10. Built-in extensible AJAX communication layer
11. RTL language support
12. More with LESS
13. Flexible grid layout system for unparalleled control over block sizes
14. Optimized codebase with speed, size, and reuse core tenets of the framework design
15. Growl-style event notifications
16. Automatic per-browser-level CSS and JS control
17. Joomla ACL support
18. Joomla base styling
19. Advanced typography
20. Responsive HTML5 base template
21. Many built-in features such as font-sizer, Google PrettyPrint 1, Google Analytics, to-top smooth slider, etc.
22. 4 Column Mainbody
23. Ability to force ‘blank’ module positions for even more advanced layout customization
24. Flexible parameter system with ability to set parameters via URL, Cookie, Session, Presets, etc.